Flipp app survey reveals digital circular deals to drive Black Friday shopping
Consumers to use shopping circulars to plan store visits and build wish lists based on deal
TORONTO, Nov. 19, 2015 -- Flipp Corporation, a leading technology company whose digital flyer platform is used by top retailers across North America, today released its Black Friday Shopping Survey. According to U.S. consumers using Flipp's shopping app, Black Friday remains a go-to shopping event for deal seekers, with retailer circular deals driving shopping behavior.
"The survey affirms that digital circulars are the blueprint for Black Friday shopping this year," said Jeff Francis, Managing Director, Flipp Consumer. "Circulars are clearly essential to the shopping and saving experience. Consumers continue to want as many options as possible to find the best deal, which drives what people will buy. We're seeing that many consumers begin planning their Black Friday shopping over a month ahead of time and will even visit stores they don't typically frequent to get the best deals."
Highlights from the Flipp app survey include:
Consumers still look at Black Friday as a significant shopping event for savings
- 91% of users surveyed plan to shop on Black Friday
- 79% of users surveyed plan to spend the same amount of money or more compared to Black Friday last year
- 74% of users surveyed wait for Black Friday to purchase items they want to buy
- Shoppers use a multitude of digital circulars to plan their trips resulting in consumers visiting stores they do not usually frequent
- 69% of users surveyed will read all of the store circulars they receive to plan their Black Friday shopping
- 15% of users surveyed will only read circulars for stores that sell items they are interested in buying
- 9% of users surveyed will only read circulars for the stores they usually shop at
- 7% of users surveyed will only read circulars for stores that sell items they want to buy for holiday gifts
Circular deals drive purchase decisions
- 60% of users surveyed decide what to buy based on what's on sale
- 40% of users surveyed know what items they want to buy then search for deals on those items
- 28% of users surveyed think 41-50% off a single item is a great Black Friday deal
Black Friday deal seekers are planners
- 31% of users surveyed start to plan Black Friday shopping one month or more before Black Friday
- 28% of users surveyed start to plan Black Friday shopping 2 weeks before Black Friday
- 56% of users surveyed set a budget ahead of time
- What are shoppers interested in this Black Friday?
72% of users surveyed are most interested in purchasing Electronics.
- 27% of users surveyed are planning to purchase TVs
- 18% of users surveyed are planning to purchase tablets
- 15% of users surveyed are planning to purchase games
- 13% of users surveyed are planning to purchase laptops
- 18% of users surveyed are most interested in purchasing Fashion items.
- 87% of users surveyed are planning to purchase clothing
- 9% of users surveyed are planning to purchase shoes
About the survey
The Flipp Black Friday Survey aggregated results from Flipp's digital flyer app users in the U.S., who were surveyed between November 7, 2015 and November 10, 2015. The survey includes results from 2,056 respondents.