Pre-shop planning integral to Black Friday shopping behavior
NEW YORK, November 2, 2017 – If you’re not planning ahead for Black Friday or Cyber Monday sales, you’re doing it wrong, according to a national survey. Flipp, a leading digital marketplace and go-to shopping app that makes it easy to find the best deals year-round, today announced results from its Black Friday and Cyber Monday survey unveiling how U.S. shoppers will be spending their dollars this year. The survey reveals insights into average spend, sentiment around the sales, and the most popular shopping categories.
“Half of Americans are planning to shop on Black Friday or Cyber Monday to take advantage of the great deals and kick-start their holiday shopping,” Flipp App Savings Expert Lauren Greutman said. “As a mom of four, I’m already working on my game plan. The first thing I do is use Flipp to search deals, create my shopping list, stay organized, and maximize my savings, especially during Black Friday.”
From holiday gifts to the hottest electronics, Flipp brings circulars, coupons, and deals right to your phone so you can find the best Black Friday sales and create a winning Black Friday game plan. Flipp and and global market research firm Ipsos surveyed 1,000 consumers to find out how they’ll tackle holiday shopping this season:
- The Holiday Shopping Game is Strong This Year. Half of Americans surveyed reported they will probably or definitely shop on Black Friday or Cyber Monday to take advantage of those holiday deals.
- He Spends, She Spends. On average, shoppers plan to spend $475 over the Black Friday/Cyber Monday time frame, with men outspending women $570 to $385, and 18-54 year olds outspending those 55 and older $500 to $400.
- Who loves Black Friday & Cyber Monday? Millennials. Millennials are most excited about shopping on these days (60%) vs. other age groups (35-54, 54% and 55+, 45%)
- Men Play the Long Game. Men are more likely to have picked out their Black Friday or Cyber Monday purchases in advance and opt for high-ticket items like electronics and appliances. Women are a bit more impulsive, leaving the decision-making until Black Friday itself. They opt for toys, clothes, and beauty & fragrance.
- Gifting Gets Shoppers Going. Half of men (50%) and over half of women (62%) view Black Friday or Cyber Monday as an opportunity to buy gifts for the holidays.
- Save on Expensive Items? Yes, Please! 33% of consumers shop Black Friday because it’s an opportunity to buy expensive items at a discount. Similarly, 31% see it as an opportunity to find promotions that aren’t available at any other time of the year.
- To Keep or to Gift? Toys, clothes and beauty/fragrance are most likely to be purchased as gifts on Black Friday. Consumers are most likely to purchase clothes, TVs and athletic shoes/sneakers for themselves on Black Friday.
- Brick & Mortar is Going Strong. In store shopping is expected to beat mobile purchases for Black Friday. 45% report they’ll be shopping for deals in store; 26% will shop in store and online equally; 20% will be shopping mostly online with 9% shopping exclusively online.
These are the findings of an Ipsos survey conducted on behalf of Flipp on Sept 5th and 6th, 2017. This online survey of (n=1,000) Americans aged 18+ was conducted via the Ipsos I-Say Online Panel, Ipsos's national online panel. The results are based on a sample where quota sampling and weighting are employed to balance demographics and ensure that the sample's composition reflects that of the actual American population according to Census data. Quota samples with weighting from the Ipsos online panel provide results that are intended to approximate a probability sample. An unweighted, probability sample of this size, with 100% response rate would have an estimated margin of error of +/- 3.5 percentage points, 19 time out of 20.
Flipp Corporation is a leading digital marketplace that is reinventing the shopping experience. The Flipp app is a go-to destination for millions of consumers to access digital shopping content from leading North American retailers and brands to help them save time and money every week. Flipp (formerly Wishabi) was founded in 2007 and is headquartered in Toronto. For more information, visit http://corp.flipp.com